Thursday, November 12, 2009

Ironman - Round 2!

WE DID IT! The girls and I survived another year of Chris training and training and training some more to compete in the Ironman. Oh, and he did pretty good too! :)
Here is what the starting line looked like (from our balcony)20 minutes prior to the race starting. The racers start up in the boxy looking part and swim 2.4 miles in the ocean. Last year Chris did 1 hour 12 minutes and this year was 1 hour 6 minutes! The pro's come out in the 50's so to be 10 or less minutes behind them is amazing!
Chris thinks that was the "easy" part. What?

Next they transition to the bike where they ride 112 miles! Chris ROCKED it and did 40 minutes better on the bike than last year at 5 hours 22 minutes. He is the 4th guy pictured here. (This whole process, as a spectator, is a guessing game so I just took it the second I saw him round the corner)

The race is finished with a marathon, 26.2 mile run.


Amazing right? I call it "crazy in the head" but truthfully, one has to be so mentally tough to ever accomplish something like this, let a lone push your body to get a time of 10:42:44. This is an entire HOUR better than last year! The event itself is so inspiring and energizing. I am so proud of Chris and his capabilities, grateful it is over, and happy that he is happy and home.

5 comments:

Leah Miller said...

AMAZING job to all 5 of you! Though, I have to agree with you...it seems a little "crazy in the head".

Shelby said...

Beyond crazy in the head. You must not have seen him for half the year. One of those events would be more than enough for me and I don't think I would put up with it if Dave wanted to do it so props to you.

lukeandjillfamily said...

I can not even believe he did that!! You are such a supportive wife. I loved looking through your blog today. Your girls are so cute!! I loved their little halloween costumes.
love,
Jill

Adam and the Girls said...

Hooray....new posts! I am SO PROUD of Chris (and you) for accomplishing this amazing race. He is seriously awesome. You guys never cease to amaze me. Can't wait to see you and catch up!!!! Luv, Jeffi ps Only 3 more weeks of school. Yay

Luke said...

Awesome that your coming to Oregon!! I am pretty flexible . Let me know if you'd rather get together before or after Christmas. It would be so fun to see you. Give me your email and we'll work out detail.
love,
Jill